Google Assistant is coming to Android Messages to infuse AI into your

Google Assistant is coming to Android Messages to infuse AI into your

CATEGORIES:

first_imgGoogle announced new features for the Assistant. Andrew Hoyle/CNET Google wants to add more artificial intelligence to your text messages. The search giant on Monday said it’s bringing the Google Assistant to its Messages app on Android phones. The Assistant, Google’s digital helper software akin to Amazon’s Alexa and Apple’s Siri, can read you the morning’s headlines, help you check into a flight or turn off the lights in your hallway.In the Messages app, though, the focus will be mostly to add more context to your conversations in three areas: movies, restaurants and weather. For example, if you’re chatting with a friend and mention the restaurant Halu in San Francisco, the Assistant might recommend sending a card with more information about the restaurant to your friend. The suggestion would appear next to the automatic Smart Replies that pop up above the keyboard in chat app. google-assistant-messages-android-2 Andrew Hoyle/CNET Google made the announcement at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona.The new feature comes after Google said in December it was shutting down its Allo chat app. The app, which first debuted in 2016, was one of the first products to showcase the Google Assistant. Scott Huffman, head of engineering for the Assistant, said in an interview that Google learned a lot about what worked and what didn’t with Allo. For example, he said the Assistant seemed too intrusive in Allo, like it was a third person in the conversation. Instead, he said people wanted something more light-touch, which would suggest information people could insert into the conversation if they wanted. “This is a much more focused injection,” Huffman said. “You can decide if information from the Assistant is something you want to add to the conversation, or you can ignore it.”Google’s vision for the Assistant has become ineasingly ambitious over the past year. In May, the company announced a feature called Duplex that lets the software make an appointment on your behalf by talking in a jaw-droppingly human-sounding voice. Last month, Google introduced an Interpreter mode for the Assistant that acts as a real-time translator for two people speaking different languages. google-assistant-messages-android Andrew Hoyle/CNET Still, as aspirational as those features are, the most important for the Assistant right now is in smartphones. Last month, Google announced the Assistant was on 1 billion devices — with the vast majority on Android phones (though the company won’t say exactly how many).On Sunday, Google said it was adding a dedicated Assistant button to a slew of phones, including ones by LG, Nokia and Xiaomi. With those new partnerships, Google said it expects 100 million devices to launch with an Assistant button.In emerging marketsGoogle also announced on Monday that the Assistant is expanding on devices that may seem an unlikely choice: feature phones. The company is launching voice typing on KaiOS, a mobile operating system designed for feature phones and cheaper devices in emerging markets. The voice-typing feature could be particularly helpful on low-end phones with just a small keyboard or number pad. Pressing a button on the phone activates a mode that lets you dictate words in a text field on the screen. Google is also launching the Assistant in seven more Indic languages: Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam and Urdu. Those languages join Marathi, which Google added to the Assistant last summer. Tags • Jun 1 • The Nubia Alpha looks like either a house arrest bracelet or Batman’s phone Jun 29 • Galaxy S10 5G, OnePlus 7 Pro LG V50 ThinQ 5G: Why you shouldn’t rush to buy a 5G phone Jul 9 • Killer cameras and battery life might meet their match in the Note 10 May 13 • Galaxy S10E vs. iPhone XR: Every spec compared Post a comment Google Alphabet Inc.center_img See All Mobile World Congress 2019 Mobile World Congress 2019 Share your voice reading • Google Assistant is coming to Android Messages to infuse AI into your chats Tech Industry 0last_img

LATEST POSTS

Makyn The Shot

first_imgMakyn The Shotlast_img

Quintyne, Campbelle overlooked for Pakistan series

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC): No room has been found for all-rounders Shaquana Quintyne and Shemaine Campbelle in a 13-member West Indies Women’s squad announced on Saturday for the one-day international (ODI) series against Pakistan starting later this month. The 19-year-old Quintyne, who captained Barbados to the regional 50-overs tournament in August, is one of five players failing to make the final cut, along with Campbelle, Chedean Nation, Karishma Ramharack and Vanessa Watts. Selectors had called up 18 players to the ongoing camp in St Lucia, which began last month. A leg-spinner and a capable right-handed batter, Quintyne has taken 26 wickets in 29 ODIs and 31 wickets from 33 Twenty20s, but has not suited up for West Indies in nearly a year. During the regional tournament, however, she was good enough to average 46, while taking four wickets. The 22-year-old Campbelle, meanwhile, is a seasoned campaigner, having played 61 ODIs and 68 T20s, since making her debut six years ago. She has a century – 105 against Sri Lanka two years ago – and has taken 21 wickets with her medium pace. The squad, which is led by new captain Stafanie Taylor, includes former skipper Merissa Aguilleira along with twins, Kycia and Kyshona Knight. The players will remain in camp, which started earlier this month in St Lucia, before facing Pakistan in the first of four day/night ODIs next Friday at the Beausejour Cricket Stadium. West Indies will also take on the Pakistanis in three T20s in Grenada, starting October 29. SQUAD: Stafanie Taylor (captain), Shakera Selman (vice-captain), Merissa Aguilleira, Shamilia Connell, Britney Cooper, Deandra Dottin, Afy Fletcher, Stacy-Ann King, Kycia Knight, Kyshona Knight, Hayley Matthews, Anisa Mohammed, Tremayne Smartt.last_img

Big clashes booked for FLOW Super Cup

first_imgDefending FLOW Super Cup champions Jamaica College (JC) will get their title defence under way against Vere Technical in a jam-packed opening weekend, spanning three venues and eight games.JC, which earlier this week suffered a penalty shoot-out loss to Wolmer’s Boys in the ISSA-FLOW Walker Cup competition, will be looking to ensure that they take better care of one of the three titles that they won last season along with the Manning Cup and Olivier Shield competitions, and will face a motivated Vere Technical at the National Stadium tomorrow at 6 p.m.That game will be preceded by Walker Cup semi-finalists St Jago’s showdown with St Elizabeth’s Lacovia High.DaCosta Cup champions Clarendon College were eliminated on penalties by last year’s beaten FLOW Super Cup finalists Holy Trinity in the first round of the competition and they will be desperate to have a bigger impact in the competition this year, when they play Hydel in the first of three games at Sabina Park at 2 p.m.Also at Sabina Park, Walker Cup finalists Wolmer’s Boys – semi-finalists last year – will play Port Antonio High at 4 p.m. with St George’s College, who also booked their spot in the Walker Cup final, will take their first stride in the tournament when they play Petersfield in the curtain-closer at 6 p.m.At Catherine Hall in Montego Bay, Glenmuir High will play Kingston College in the first of three games with a 2 p.m. kick-off, with St Elizabeth Technical facing Charlie Smith at 4 p.m. and local team St James High welcoming Excelsior High at 6 p.m.contested by 16 teamsThe second instalment of the FLOW Super Cup is being contested by 16 teams – eight each from the Manning and daCosta Cup competitions, with a $1-million jackpot and a new Italian-crafted trophy awaiting the eventual winners.Each team will get $25,000 for contesting the first round, and an additional $50,000 for advancing to the quarter-finals, with the four semi-finalists each set to receive another $100,000.Each finalist will be paid $200,000, with the winners pocketing a further $625,000 for a total cash prize of $1 million.The draw for this year’s FLOW Super Cup took place at the Creative Production and Training Centre yesterday.last_img

Under-20 Girlz bow out

first_imgJamaica’s Under-20 female footballers missed out on qualifying for the semi-finals of the CONCACAF Under-20 women championships despite slamming regional rivals, Trinidad and Tobago 6-1 in their final Group A game yesterday.The young Reggae Girlz needed group winners Canada to beat hosts Honduras by at least four clear goals to go through as second place qualifiers, as only the top two teams from the two groups advance to the last four.However, that game between Canada and Honduras ended 2-0 win for the Canadians and as a result the Hondurans secured second place from the group with four points, the same as Jamaica, but with a better goal difference than the Reggae Girlz.Oshay Nelson-Lawes netted a tournament equalling record for the most goals scored in a single match after finding the net four times in the Reggae Girlz’s victory. Khadija Shaw and Chanel Hudson-Marks got the other goals for Jamaica. Tsaianne Leander scored Trinidad’s lone goal.Canada ended the group with maximum nine points, while Trinidad and Tobago finished at the bottom without a point. The top three teams from the CONCACAF championship will qualify for the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup.- L.S.last_img

Leave a Comment