Woman dies from electrocution answering call on her iPhone

Woman dies from electrocution answering call on her iPhone

first_imgLast week we saw the case of a Galaxy S3 exploding in a woman’s pocket causing third degree burns on her thigh. This week a woman has apparently been killed by electrocution while using her iPhone.The 23-year-old Chinese woman named Ma Ailun had plugged her iPhone into a power outlet to charge when the smartphone received a call. She picked up the device to answer the call, at which point she was electrocuted and died.Ma’s older sister is now calling on Apple to provide an explanation as to why this happened. Local police have confirmed the cause of death was electrocution, and Apple has confirmed it is set to carry out its own investigation alongside the local authorities in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region of China.We don’t know what model iPhone Ma was using, and there’s also nothing to confirm it was actually the phone that caused her death. Even if it was, if the phone or charger was damaged or she was using unofficial parts/accessories, then the blame can’t really be lodged with Apple.Regardless of the outcome of the investigation, news of the death has gone viral across China and won’t do Apple any favors convincing Chinese consumers to purchase its smartphones. Ma’s older sister has also urged people to not use their smartphones while they are charging. I think that’s a bit extreme, and again a lot depends on the state of the iPhone Ma was handling.The worst case scenario for Apple now is if the phone is found to be the cause of the electrocution and there’s no clear signs of damage to the device. That would probably trigger an investigation, a mandatory recall, and possibly even charges being brought against the company.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *