Still no bail for Western Union Robbers

Still no bail for Western Union Robbers

first_imgLocalNews Still no bail for Western Union Robbers by: – February 24, 2012 Tweet Sharing is caring! Share 16 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Share Two young men who were charged with aggravated burglary and assault with intent to rob Western Union have been remanded at the State’s Prison as their bail application has been denied again.On February 3rd, 2012 Police Public Relations Officer Kenth Matthew reported that two disguised men with guns assaulted and robbed the Money Transfer Agency office known as Western Union between 7:30 and 8:05am on Thursday 2nd February. He also reported that one male security guard received a blow to his head while another female employee was severely traumatized and most of the cash had been recovered by the police.Kelvin Alexander and Omisie Odigie of Grand Bay were charged on 6th February, 2012 for robbery of EC$ 218, 695. 91 from Western Union and assault with intent to rob Paula George an employee of that business firm.Police Prosecutor Inspector Claude Weekes objected to bail arguing that the accused if given bail would impede the ongoing investigations and threaten witnesses. Defense Counsel Wayne Norde who represented both accused men told the Court that had intended to make application for bail the following week which he hoped would have been sufficient time for the police to conduct their investigations. On Thursday 23rd February, Norde informed Magistrate Candia Carette-George that his client Kelvin Alexander had been remanded for almost a month and he thinks that the police have had sufficient time to conduct their investigations.Police Prosecutor Inspector Michael Laudat told the Court that he was not the one who made the objection, he did not have that file with him in Court and that attorneys should inform the Bench before making a bail application.Norde replied that the Prosecutions excuse was “poor” stating that the Prosecution should be ready to deal with any matter once the accused are in custody.However Magistrate Carette-George informed Norde that “I prefer if you make the application before whoever denied the bail. This is not a rule but I prefer that as that magistrate would have all the facts before him or her”.Norde told the Court; “I’m in a difficult position today; the Prosecution is not ready, the Court is not ready. I’ll inform the Prosecution in writing that I’m going to make an application for bail on Monday”.Kelvin Alexander has been remanded at the State’s Prison until 27th February, 2012.The other accused Omisie Odigie is also United States citizen and his request for bail has been denied on that basis as it is feared that he is a flight risk.The Preliminary Inquiry is scheduled for 26th July, 2012Dominica Vibes Newslast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *