Grey revolt maybe underway despite Taoiseach’s post budget reassurances

Grey revolt maybe underway despite Taoiseach’s post budget reassurances

first_imgAndrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up andrewAS thousands of pensioners protested outside Government buildings over last week’s budget cutbacks, Taoiseach Enda Kenny travelled to Limerick to issue a warning against “scare mongering”.Speaking at the University of Limerick, Mr Kenny said that up to 97 per cent of older people will keep their medical cards, despite claims for the opposition that the government is targeting older people in “witch hunt” of medical card holders.He also insisted that older people would not be left without vital home security links following the abolition of their monthly telephone allowance.When asked about fears of a “grey revolt” in the wake of budget changes to eligibility for medical cards for those over 70, Mr Kenny warned against any “scare mongering”.“There isn’t any room for scare mongering to the effect that everybody is going to lose medical cards. There is a system here that is income based. Since this was centralised a number of years ago, the assessment process is the same for everybody so those people who are under the income guidelines for medical cards need have no worries,” he said.“The change made in eligibility affects a very small number of higher earning people over 70 and when that change is completed, the proportion of people over 70 who either have medical cards or GP cards will still be around 97per cent,” he added.Mr Kenny insisted he values greatly the contribution that older people continue to make to society. However he confirmed that there would be no roll back on the axing of telephone allowances for pensioners.When asked about fears among some older people that they will lose their link to emergency services without their telephone service, Mr Kenny said he is in talks with the Ministers for the Environment and Social Protection to arrange how this can be facilitated through digital technology.The Taoiseach also confirmed that there would be no cabinet reshuffle this year.“I have already indicated it will be in the second half of the government that will not happen this year. It is a matter I will reflect on,” he concluded.Mr Kenny was in Limerick to announce details of a €52 million research project at UL that will enhance its reputation as a world class research campus providing services and real life solutions to industry. WhatsApp Advertisement Print Facebook Emailcenter_img NewsBreaking newsGrey revolt maybe underway despite Taoiseach’s post budget reassurancesBy admin – October 22, 2013 509 Linkedin Twitter Previous articleMother of tragic teen urges teens in need to seek helpNext articleGangsters ex partner gets 12 year driving ban adminlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *