The €238bn asset manager PGGM said it was disappointed about the rejection of its joint bid with Shell for the Dutch energy supplier Eneco.In a response, its spokesperson said it was “a real pity, as this kind of large investments in local energy transition were scarce”.Eneco’s stakeholders – 44 local councils, including Rotterdam and The Hague – decided to sell the company for €4.1bn to Mitsubishi and Chubu Electric Power.“In our opinion, we had made an attractive offer, both financially and for the firm’s sustainable future,” the spokesperson said. The acquisition would have enabled the asset manager to substantially invest in energy transition in the Netherlands.Rabobank had also been in the race in a partnership with private equity house KKR.Earlier this year, the €529bn Dutch asset manager APG declined to confirm it was interested in the acquisition of Eneco, after local daily De Telegraaf had reported that APG had teamed up with French energy firm Total or the Italian Enel.PGGM stated that losing the deal would not affect its sustainability goals, as it could in principle make acquisitions for its infrastructure fund all over Europe and North America.“But we will be actively looking for new possibilities in the Netherlands,” its spokesperson added.Following this, an investor pressure group aiming for a sustainable approach by fossil fuel companies – comprising asset managers Actiam, Aegon, Achmea, Van Lanschot Kempen, MN and NN IP – have been urging Shell to stick to the Paris Climate Agreement since 2016.Mark van Baal, founder of Follow This, a group of responsible shareholders in oil and gas companies, said that by losing the deal PGGM would be able to encourage Shell to step up its energy transition commitment through climate resolutions at Shell’s AGM.However, the PGGM spokesperson said the co-operation with Shell in the Eneco bid had strengthened the asset manager’s belief that the energy giant was already taking the right steps towards sustainability.
Judge scathing of ministry’s handling of whāngai adoption caseRadio NZ News 6 April 2018Family First Comment: Radio NZ are treating this like its the first time. Sorry – since the smacking law, it’s been a regular feature!“A Family Court judge says it is inexcusable that Oranga Tamariki, the Ministry for Children, insists on calling a mother a child abuser when the court had found she wasn’t. “If a court duly constituted by law makes a positive finding that there has been no abuse, then it is inexcusable for the executive arm of government to think it knows better than the rule of law and to ignore findings made by the court.” www.protectgoodparents.nzA Family Court judge says it is inexcusable that Oranga Tamariki, the Ministry for Children, insists on calling a mother a child abuser when the court had found she wasn’t.The criticisms were made in a decision from Judge Stephen Coyle in the Family Court in Whakatāne, relating to a battle between a child’s birth parents and whāngai adoptive parents.Judge Coyle also criticised Oranga Tamariki for removing the child from her home, contrary to a court order indicating that was almost enough for him to refer the agency for prosecution.When the child was born in 2010 its birth parents had agreed to whāngai her to her paternal aunt and her partner who were unable to have children.However, some time later the birth mother changed her mind and wanted the child back.Eventually she began making allegations of physical and sexual abuse against the whāngai mother, which led to several notifications being made to Oranga Tamariki.READ MORE: https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/354260/judge-scathing-of-ministry-s-handling-of-whangai-adoption-caseKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
He canceled virtual team activities on June 9 and instead encouraged players to attend the funeral service for Floyd. O’Brien attended the service along with star defensive end J.J. Watt, owner Cal McNair, offensive coordinator Tim Kelly, defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver and former defensive tackle D.J. Reader. “It wasn’t a conscious effort,” O’Brien said on the team’s response to Floyd’s death. “It wasn’t like we had a conversation together and decided to do it.”I think we just said enough is enough, and we’ve got to do what’s right. As an organization, we’re part of the conversation and we want to do our part.” Texans head coach Bill O’Brien said he will take a knee with players during the national anthem this NFL season to protest racial inequality and police brutality. There have been nationwide protests in the United States after George Floyd — an African-American man — died in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25. A police officer was filmed kneeling on Floyd’s neck during an arrest after he was crying out for help as he was handcuffed and pinned to the ground.Former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was the first player to kneel during the anthem in protest against racial injustice in 2016, before he was released the following year.MORE: How Kaepernick’s protest started a movement in NFLSaints star Drew Brees said players who knelt during the anthem were “disrespecting the flag,” comments which sparked fierce backlash and led to an apology, while President Donald Trump insisted kneeling is “disrespecting” the country.But O’Brien told the Houston Chronicle: “Yeah, I’ll take a knee. I’m all for it. The players have a right to protest, a right to be heard and a right to be who they are. They’re not taking a knee because they’re against the flag. They’re taking a knee because they haven’t been treated equally in this country for over 400 years.” The city of Houston mourns today.Rest in peace, George. pic.twitter.com/kpMwRBVjVs— Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) June 9, 2020O’Brien has been a supportive presence during the recent social justice fight.