Archive : 上海夜网OL

Indonesia suspends all passenger travel across cities to prevent Ramadan exodus

first_imgThe Transportation Ministry will restrict all passenger travel starting on Friday as the government attempts to prevent citizens from participating in the annual Idul Fitri tradition of mudik (exodus) to curb the spread of COVID-19.The ban will not apply to cargo transportation or to vehicles serving special purposes, such as ambulances and fire trucks. “The ban will apply to all types of public and private transportation by air, sea, land and railway, except for vehicles carrying leaders of state institutions, police and military vehicles, ambulances, fire trucks, hearses and vehicles transporting logistical supplies, staple goods and medicines,” ministry spokesperson Adita Irawati said in a statement on Thursday. “Air navigation services will remain in operation. Meanwhile, airports will stay open to serve aircraft as they take off and land,” said Novie.The ministry’s land transportation director general Budi Setiyadi said toll, national and provincial roads would remain open. However, checkpoints would be set up at several locations, guarded by police and military personnel as well as ministry officials.The restriction on land transportation will apply until May 31.Zulfikri, the ministry’s train director general, said all train service until June 15 would be canceled and that passengers who had already purchased tickets would receive full refunds.Passenger transportation by sea will be suspended until June 8. Ships are permitted to transport only goods until that time.Adita said anyone found breaking the mudik ban would be sanctioned, as the ministerial decree on the ban stipulated punishments for violators. The punishments ranged from being ordered to return to the point of departure to fines.Topics : She added that the ban would apply to vehicles entering and leaving regions that had imposed large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) and those that had been declared COVID-19 red zones.The ministry’s air transportation director general, Novie Riyanto, said all passenger transportation to domestic and overseas destinations – both commercial and chartered flights – would be suspended starting Friday at midnight until June 1.Read also: ‘I need to protect my family’: Jakartans nix homecoming trips following COVID-19 ‘mudik’ banThe ban does not apply to flights carrying leaders of state institutions or foreign envoys, nor does it apply to aircraft engaging in special repatriation operations for Indonesians or foreign nationals. Air cargo transportation will also be permitted.last_img read more

Novavax reports promising early trial results of COVID-19 vaccine

first_imgSide effects included soreness at the site of injection, headache, fatigue and muscle pain. These were classified as mild to moderate, and none were severe.After the first dose, all subjects who got the vaccine developed antibodies that block SARS-CoV-2’s “spike protein,” which it uses to latch on to human cells.Most also developed “neutralizing antibodies” which are more potent and prevent viruses from infecting cells.After a second dose given 28 days later, all participants had the more powerful neutralizing antibodies. Novavax reported that the lower dose performed comparably with the higher dose, which is important when it comes to mass production and because lower doses generally elicit fewer side effects.Antibodies are infection-fighting proteins made by the immune system. Another part of the immune response comes in the form of T cells, types of white blood cells that have the capability to kill infected cells and which are increasingly thought to play an important role against COVID-19.Novavax said it looked for these cells in a subset of participants and found they were present.The trial was supported by funding from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and was conducted at two sites in  Australia.Novavax has not yet shared the detailed findings but said it was submitting the research for publication in a peer-reviewed journal and to medical preprint site medrxiv.org. The final stage Phase 3 trial of its vaccine, called NVX-CoV2373, is set to take place this fall.The Maryland-based company grows synthesized pieces of the SARS-CoV-2’s “spike protein,” which triggers an immune response, inside insect cells in order to help scale up production.It also uses an “adjuvant,” a compound that boosts the production of neutralizing antibodies.The company says the drug, which is a liquid formulation, can be stored at two degrees celsius to eight degrees celsius, refrigerator temperature.In the spring, the company said it had proven the efficacy of a seasonal flu vaccine it had developed using the same technology. US biotech company Novavax on Tuesday announced its experimental COVID-19 vaccine elicited a robust immune response, producing more antibodies than are present in recovered patients, and with generally tolerable side-effects in its early-stage trial.The company was given $1.6 billion by the US government last month to develop and fund the drug under Operation Warp Speed — but in terms of timeline it is behind other firms including Moderna and AstraZeneca which have entered the final stages of their trials.It reported in a press release that the phase one stage of its placebo-controlled trial involved 131 healthy adults aged 18-59 and two dose groups of five and 25 micrograms.center_img Topics :last_img read more

​Norway’s ex central bank deputy defends due diligence behind Tangen hiring

first_imgEgil MatsenMatsen was part of the appointment committee Norges Bank set up a day before announcing the job of CEO of NBIM on 10 January, alongside the bank’s governor Øystein Olsen and  executive board member Kristine Ryssdal.However, Matsen said the final design of mechanisms to avoid conflicts of interest required broad involvement of parts of Norges Bank and AKO Capital.“A comprehensive dialogue between Norges Bank and AKO at the administrative level could not be established until Tangen was actually employed – it’s about the need for confidentiality in the hiring process,” he wrote.In the Aftenposten article, he also mentioned the offshore registrations of some of Tangen’s interests, naming the Cayman Islands and Jersey as two domiciles used, and said this did not mean the entities avoided taxation.Matsen said he could hardly imagine a person better qualified to manage the oil fund than Tangen.“He has experience and results from the financial markets that few others can claim,” he said, adding that the current international crisis showed how important this was.In talks with Norges Bank, Tangen had shown a deep understanding of the strategic challenges the oil fund would face in the future, he said, adding that these challenges had been reinforced after since those talks started in February.“We need a person with his qualifications to lead the oil fund for years to come,” Matsen said.Matsen’s resignation from Norges Bank was announced in December, and he has recently been appointed to the independent commission set up by the government to review and extract lessons from the COVID-19 outbreak in Norway.Norges Bank’s supervisory council is currently waiting for written replies from the bank’s executive to a long list of questions it posed last week surrounding the hiring of the hedge fund founder.The board has been given today as a deadline to comply. One of the three Norwegian central bankers behind the controversial recruitment of hedge fund multi-millionaire Nicolai Tangen to run the country’s NOK10.5tn (€932bn) sovereign wealth fund has defended the process and insisted the oil fund needs Tangen.Egil Matsen, who recently stepped down as one of Norges Bank’s two deputy governors, said claims that the central bank did not probe the business operations of the newly-appointed chief executive officer before recruiting him – or mull how conflicts of interest should be handled – were wrong.In a self-penned column in Monday’s edition of Norwegian paper Aftenposten, Matsen said: “An important theme in the appointments committee’s discussions with Tangen, and in the executive board’s assessments, was to ensure independence between AKO Capital’s management and his responsibilities as the oil fund’s manager.”A scandal has whipped up in Norway following the surprise announcement on 26 March that Tangen would replace Yngve Slyngstad as CEO of the Government Pension Fund Global (GPFG) in September. Subsequent revelations that Slyngstad accepted a private flight from the US to Oslo from Tangen in November have prompted the departing SWF leader to apologise to his staff at Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) for a lack of professionalism at the end of his 12-year tenure as CEO.News of the lavish and secretive “Back to University” US seminar hosted by Tangen, which Slyngstad and other prominent Norwegians attended, has brought speculation in the Norwegian media about cronyism – concerns exacerbated by the absence of Tangen’s name on the published list of applicants for the top NBIM role.Matsen said Tangen made it clear the first time the men met, in early February, that his earnings from his UK asset management company AKO Capital would go directly to the charity AKO Foundation if he became head of NBIM.“Well in advance of the board’s decision, Tangen confirmed in writing that he is prepared to comply with the requirements that Norges Bank must impose to secure sufficient information barriers between the management of the oil fund and AKO Capital’s management of its funds,” Matsen said.“He has given the same confirmation regarding the distance from the management of his private investment,” he said.last_img read more