Archive : 上海夜网XS

Redknapp: Rio had other offers

first_img The move to Rangers not only sees Ferdinand move back to the capital but also link up with Redknapp, the man who handed him his senior professional debut in 1996. On signing his contract, Ferdinand expressed a passion for wanting to help keep newly-promoted Rangers in the top flight and Redknapp feels that, coupled with the turning down of bigger offers, proves the ex-England captain is up for the fight. “I think he is going to be a fantastic player for the club,” Redknapp said. “He is a top-class guy. A great role model I think, I signed him as a 14-year-old so I know him better than anybody. “He didn’t need convincing (to join) – he wanted to come to QPR. He spoke to two top London clubs, but he wanted to come here and to play. He could have went elsewhere and maybe not played at times. “I don’t care what age they are – it’s about staying in the Premier League. I took Rio – I’m not saying I’m going to sign all older players, but if they are good enough and can do the job. “We are not going to spend fortunes. We will spend money on one or two players and pick up others on free transfers. “We are not looking to splash loads of cash because we haven’t got it. We want to make sure the people we bring in want to play for Queens Park Rangers, which Rio did. That was the key for me. Harry Redknapp has revealed Rio Ferdinand showed a desire to join QPR despite offers from ‘two big London clubs’. “He could have gone to Dubai or Qatar and earned a fortune. His wage demands were so incredibly low in my impression. It was an easy deal to do.” Redknapp admitted he spoke to former United interim manager Ryan Giggs to get his opinion on Ferdinand. Giggs replaced David Moyes at Old Trafford for the last four games of the season and picked Ferdinand for three of those fixtures. “I spoke to Ryan, not that I had any doubt,” he added. “I just asked about how much training he did and Ryan said if he still had been his manager this year then he would have been his number one centre-half. When he took over last year the first thing he did was put Rio back in the team. “He was fit all last season, but David came in and wanted to change the team around. He didn’t pick him. “We got his records from Man United and he was the fourth/fifth highest player, in terms of being available for training and playing. “You will always get doubters and people who say ‘he’s had it’ or ‘he’s finished’. I back my own judgement and opinion. “I took Paul Merson to Portsmouth and he turned the club around. I brought Teddy Sheringham in and Sol Campbell from Arsenal when everybody said he was finished. He was as good a centre-half as anyone in the Premier League.” Redknapp again said he hopes to partner Ferdinand with Steven Caulker after having a bid accepted for the Cardiff skipper. The 67-year-old is keen to add to his threadbare squad in the coming days but admitted there may still be roles for Loic Remy and Adel Taarabt at the club, even if both see their futures elsewhere. “I’m not sure what Loic wants to do,” he conceded. “He will score goals and is a boy capable of getting 14-20 goals a year in the Premier League. We would like to keep him. “He would really like to play Champions League football. If nothing comes along I’m sure he will come back and give us everything he’s got to make it a successful season. “Adel would like to go back to Milan possibly, but if they don’t pay the money he will stay here” The 35-year-old signed a one-year deal at Loftus Road on Thursday and trained with his new team-mates for the first time on Friday morning. Ferdinand won six Barclays Premier League titles during a successful spell at Manchester United but found himself a free agent when his last contract expired at Old Trafford. Press Associationlast_img read more

Relay for Life event held at Wellington’s Memorial Auditorium

first_imgSumner Newscow report — In an effort to raise money for the American Cancer Society, the local relay group held its 20th annual Relay for Life Sumner County event Saturday at Heritage Park/Memorial Auditorium in downtown Wellington.A free survivors and caregivers dinner was provided by Sean and Dawn McCue. Then the survivors and caregivers held a victory lap  in Heritage Park. Then there was entertainment by the Michelle’s Encore Dance Studio among others. More than 10 teams and 55 participants helped raise $9,510.93 toward the fight to end cancer.Luminaries in honor of survivors were lit after dark during a quiet ceremony. More pictures by Sumner Newscow repoter Amber Schmitz are below. Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (2) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +3 Vote up Vote down Phylis Vincent · 217 weeks ago The local VFW served biscuits and gravy to the group between 12:00 and 2:00 am, I’m hoping everyone appreciated that. Report Reply 0 replies · active 217 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Bill · 217 weeks ago We GREATLY appreciated that !! Report Reply 0 replies · active 217 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

Experts forecast higher temperatures this week in Costa Rica

first_imgRelated posts:‘Snowpocalypse’ strands air passengers in Costa Rica 145,000 to go without water in Escazú, Santa Ana and western San José on Saturday Cassava: tropical staple, drought-friendly… cancer-busting? Former US President Bill Clinton to visit Costa Rica A decrease in the intensity of trade winds this week will cause an average increase in temperatures of up to 2 degrees Celsius, according to the National Meteorological Institute (IMN).Costa Rica currently is in the middle of the dry season, which runs from December to May, meaning warmer temperatures are likely during the day, with drastic drops at night.According to the IMN, average temperatures in the northwestern province of Guanacaste will range from 33-35 degrees Celsius (92-95 Fahrenheit), and 32-34 C (90-93 F) in the Central and South Pacific regions.Temperatures in the Caribbean region will range from 30-32 C (86-90 F), while the northern region will range from 28-33 C (82-92 F).In the Central Valley, temperatures will be highest in the western region, ranging from 30-32 C (86-90 F). The eastern region is expected to be slightly cooler, with temperatures ranging from 24-26 C (75-79 F).The hottest days of the dry season are expected on April 9-18, during the equinox, which causes solar radiation to perpendicularly strike Costa Rica.Costa Rica’s Social Security System, or Caja, last year reported that six people are diagnosed with skin cancer every day in the country. Global studies indicate that 68 percent of skin cancer occurs on the face, mostly in areas around the lips, eyelids and ears.Caja officials recommend avoiding long exposure to sunlight, especially from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. They recommend using appropriate clothing to protect the face and arms, as well as sunscreen for anyone planning on being outdoors for an extended period of time. Facebook Commentslast_img read more